Business Travel to Philly – The Nation’s Best Kept Secret!
PHILADELPHIA????? Hold on to your hats as I share some tips on taking a trip through our American heritage. The history lessons I learned so many years ago came to life last week. Our country has just celebrated another birthday, so the timing was perfect. I had the pleasure of going to Philly (as they call it) for a WBENC (Women’s Business Enterprise National Council) conference. I planned to fly in early to tour the area since I wasn’t likely to be returning. I used the time during the 4.5 hour flight to prepare a game plan for when I arrived. Here’s what I learned and why I think Philly is truly the best kept secret:
- 1776 isn’t just a number, it’s the year that the Declaration of Independence was adopted. All men ARE created equal.
- The 2,080 pound Liberty Bell was originally rung to celebrate the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence. The very first time it was struck, it cracked.
- Roads paved with cobblestones helped horses to keep their footing and were also a status symbol for the wealthy.
- You’ll find lush green parks with lakes just ten minutes from downtown.
- The city abounds with arts and theater that would rival our very own Los Angeles!
- The unique Amphibious Duck Tour was fun and educational.
- You can take a horse-drawn carriage tour through the famous historical downtown.
I really enjoyed visiting a city rich with history. It was even more interesting because the heritage of our great country has such meaning for me. It was inspiring to recall the stories I learned in school while actually standing in the places where the events happened. It made me think about the risks our founders took. If they hadn’t, we would not be where we are today.
I am so thankful to have gone to this conference and to have learned more about the sacrifices that our forefathers made. I am proud to be an American and know that I too want to leave a legacy for the next generation and the generations to come. I am excited to be taking risks by owning my own business, just like you do!
I hope each of you will take some time to pause and think about where we came from and let that knowledge empower you!